1964 Mercury Commuter Surf Wagon. You may have seen this vehicle on ebay a while back, I bought it from a less than honest seller and had it shipped to Florida. Previous owner swore to me it was mechanically sound and needed nothing, LIES!! Showed up leaking from every gasket known to man. I have fixed the main leaks which were the upper gaskets, still has a drip from the rear main. It also has a worn out shift linkage, not unexpected, but was also told it was working perfectly when I bought it, LIES!!! The problem with the linkage is that it's hard to keep the car in park. It can be driven as is but I would at the very least fix the linkage. I found the parts here on ebay ranging from $50-$150, but decided why not drop in a whole new drivetrain with modern technology. I was heading in that direction and bought a 2000 Mercury Marques with 68,500 miles, 4.6 V8 with automatic overdrive transmission, no leaks and cold A/C. Was going to drop that in but I don't have the time and have lost interest in the project. I'm selling this as a package deal. Both cars have clean titles and run and drive as is. I can verify that the 390 was rebuilt and It actually fires right up and runs good. The transmission does seem to shift smoothly and properly. The ride seems pretty smooth but I never had it out on the highway or at high speeds. You can leave the car as is and just fix the linkage or take it to the next level, your choice. I'm selling this at no reserve and going to take a big loss I'm sure, because I'm not going to lie and pass the issues that do exist on to someone else by lying and saying they don't exist. The parts car could be put back on the road as well, but it would require a new rear window and a few other parts. Ask any questions and I'll answer them to the best of my ability. More than willing to show the car ahead of time. Not opposed to bartering. The pictures are from the previous listing and the car looks just the same except a roof rack was added and the passenger side mirror was replaced. Surf Board is included!!
The following is a cut and paste from the previous owners listing here on Ebay.
Mechanicals are completely restored throughout the entire car. Great cruiser.
This is a totally fun and dependable cruiser that gets more attention than most traditional classics. Sat outside for years in Arizona before making its way to North Carolina for the rebuilt and ultimately to me here in Massachusetts. Clean title in hand.
Here are the details:
- 390 Cu In Engine .30 over - Completely rebuild with new Holley Carb. Heads were magnafluxed and hardened valves installed. New everything.
- Ford-O-Matic Automatic Transmission - Completely Rebuilt with new kevlar clutches.
- Rear Differential - Rebuilt
- Brakes - Completely Rebuilt including new Power Disc Brake Conversion on Front and new stainless brake lines throughout.
- New Fuel System including all new stainless steel lines, fuel tank and & sender
- Exhaust - New 2 1/2 true dual straight pipes with thrush glass packs.
- Jamco 3 Lowering Kit installed in front and rear, New springs and shocks.
- Front suspension and steering has all new components - ball joints, tie rods.
- New Aluminum Radiator
- Paint is original. Only area of rust is on the rear quarters. It sat outside in Arizona with the rear window open a hair. Rest of the body is completely solid.
- Brand new carpet throughout.
- Windshield has been replaced. All other glass is good and rolls up and down properly. Rear window is electric and works great.
- Wheels are brand new 16 American Racing. Federal tires are brand new.
Needs a headliner.
|VIN (Vehicle Identification Number):||4Z72Y518131||Mileage:||68,500|
|Number of Cylinders:||8||Make:||Mercury|
|Body Type:||Wagon||Drive Type:||RWD|
|Warranty:||Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty||Vehicle Title:||Clear|
|Sub Model:||Commuter||Fuel Type:||Gasoline|
|Exterior Color:||Blue||For Sale By:||Private Seller|
|Interior Color:||Tan||Drive Side:||Left-hand drive|