We have here a sexy, black ’69 Mercury Cougar Convertible. I’ve enjoyed restoring it and driving it for the last 10 years, but I need some cash and it’s time to let her go. These are rare…they only made about 5800 convertibles. This triple black version has a Holly 4bbl, 351W motor matched to a FMX trans. I bought it on eBay from California, although I do not believe it’s a western car due to the rust. Replaced nearly every panel with rust-free California panels before painting it black so body panel rust is no longer a problem. However, like most convertibles, the floor pans are toast and should be replaced.
The 10 Best things:
1. 1. Priced to sell at $11,900 as there is no reserve. Clean title, registered and plated.
2. 2. Looks good from 20 ft. Paint is fair, some scratches and swirls but waxes up nicely.
3. 3. Starts every time and runs smoothly.
4. 4. Cragar rims and low mileage BF Goodrich tires.
5. 5. Moroso chrome valve covers, air cleaner and exhaust tips.
6. 6. New shocks, brakes, battery, aluminum radiator.
7. 7. New carpet and recent stereo and speakers.
8. 8. Has all glass, decent rag top and cover boot.
9. 9. Has full size spare, working taillights, uninstalled vacuum system for front light doors.
10. 10. Gets thumbs ups and compliments at every stoplight.
The 10 worst things:
1. 1. Definitely not numbers matching and will never be a show car.
2. 2. Previously mentioned rust issues in floor and undercarriage.
3. 3. Tranny is pulsing? Drives fine but disengages/reengages after a stop. No idea what’s wrong.
4. 4. Needs new suspension soft parts (bushings) and maybe tie rod ends
5. 5. Exhaust is less than perfect – sufficient but due for new pipes front to back.
6. 6. Passenger side rear quarter dent shown in picture.
7. 7. Small dimple in hood where air cleaner nut pushed though (ugh!!!).
8. 8. Doors are sagging and push button handles need adjustment.
9. 9. Horn and some gauges don’t work – can’t remember which ones?
10. 10. Top goes up and down manually – motors need attention.
My fix list order is 1) trans repair, 2) suspension, 3) floor pans, 4) vacuum light install, 5) doors and windows. I wasn’t going to repair the dent or the soft top motors (never rains in AZ).
I’d love to keep her and frankly, if she doesn’t sell, I’m happy to keep her around for more financially healthier times. In other words, no need for lowball offers. Questions...just ask.
Walk around here
Starting up here
|VIN (Vehicle Identification Number):||9f92h514895||Mileage:||0|
|Number of Cylinders:||8||Make:||Mercury|
|Warranty:||Vehicle does NOT have an existing warranty||Engine:||351W|
|Vehicle Title:||Clear||Drive Type:||RWD|
|Exterior Color:||Black||For Sale By:||Private Seller|